Call now (401) 942-3100

Interstate Child Support Issues ~ When Your Ex Lives Out-of-State

When it comes to Interstate Child Support issues, those practices characteristic of each individual state have typically been considered the guiding principles for dealing with out-of-state matters. Because of this, one of the most difficult situations involving child support occurs when the custodial parent lives in one state, and the non-custodial parent lives in another.

The states are required to cooperate in locating missing non-custodial parents and enforcing child support orders. However, there is some difficulty in enforcing an order from one Family court in another state.

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), a federal law, was enacted just for these kinds of situations. The Act has prompted many states to also adopt their own interstate child support laws, with language that closely resembles the federal law.

If you need help with an out of state child support matter, contact me at (401) 942-3100 for a free consultation.

Leave a Reply